Get began and generate profits in affiliate internet marketing
Originally written by Lauradodes on Small Business
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Affiliate marketing is where you can earn a commission for marketing someone else’s product. Sales through the affiliate marketing channel have increased by 10 percent annually since 2015. More and more brands are realizing its value as an inexpensive performance marketing strategy. But what exactly does that mean?
# 1 – First, a brand needs to create an affiliate program. This is usually done over a network. Using networks, the brand can create trackable affiliate links and approve third-party websites (also known as affiliates, publishers, partners, associates) to promote their business.
# 2 – The approved partners use the link on their own platform and create content that encourages their target audience to shop through their platform. When a customer clicks their brand link and makes a purchase, the affiliate receives a commission.
Creating an affiliate site can be an easy way to make extra cash on the side, but it also has the potential to grow into your full-time business.
> See also: How a social media platform can improve affiliate marketing
I’m sold – how do I create an affiliate site?
Before starting your journey as an affiliate marketer, you need to determine how your website is effectively promoting brands.
What Makes My Website Suitable For Affiliate Marketing?
If you are already familiar with the concept of affiliates, you may only know one particular type of affiliate. However, the diversity of the affiliate space has expanded as the channel has grown, with each affiliate type playing an important role in a brand’s performance.
Examples of affiliate types
Here are some examples of affiliate types. This list is incomplete. This is the place to get really creative, especially if you want your website to get noticed.
- Cashback: These websites promote brands on their website and return all or part of their commission to customers. Many have their own unique audiences and offer brands additional ways to reach that customer base for a fixed fee. TopCashback and Quidco are two of the UK’s largest cashback publishers
- Comparison: These websites use branded product feeds to provide a platform for customers to compare products based on prices, ratings, and other criteria. Broadband Genie has been an active comparison site for over 15 years, providing customers with a platform to compare broadband deals and offering exclusive deals and coupons with every purchase
- Editorial content: These usually come in the form of blogs, online magazines, or social media influencers. The editors of these websites usually need to have a certain level of expertise or interest in a particular industry in order to create relevant and valuable content for brands
- Communities and User Generated Content: A group of online shoppers with discussion forums to exchange advice and information, as well as discounts and offers
> See also: Why Affiliate Marketing Could Be The Best Way To Make Money From Home
What distinguishes you from brands?
You have decided what type of website you want to build. Now you need to determine why a brand will choose to partner with you. One of the largest affiliate networks, Awin, has over 200,000 publishers. Some of the biggest publishers now work with hundreds of brands for millions in sales. How will you stand out in this increasingly saturated market?
- Make sure your website is complete and has up-to-date content when applying for programs. A lot of brands won’t dig around your website for long when it comes to reviewing your application. If they come across a broken URL or a blank website, it is unlikely that you will be approved to use their affiliate links
- Track your application. Larger brands receive dozens of partner apps every day. If you don’t want your website to be lost in hand-to-hand combat, find the contact on the brand profile and send a personalized message about why you love the brand and believe that your website would increase sales
- Provide data. Once your website is more established, be sure to include engaging metrics related to your website in your opening message (such as monthly unique visitors or audience demographics) to encourage the brand to invest in additional advertising opportunities on your website , z give. A quick and presentable way to do this is to create a “media package”. This is essentially a slide show with the information above and more
- Be flexible and informative. Use your metrics to determine what fees will be incurred for additional placements on your website. Do your research to understand how much to charge based on the size of your reach, but be flexible. Get to know a brand’s goals / KPIs and create customized exposure packages that you believe will deliver the best ROI (return on investment). Brands may have tight budgets and if you’re not willing to negotiate, they’ll likely move on to whoever it is (but don’t accept less than you owe!).
The key to building a successful affiliate site is to be proactive, creative, and flexible. Make sure you understand the brand you are promoting if you are looking to build a mutually beneficial relationship over the long term.
Great – my page is ready. Where should I start?
With that said, you are now ready to become an affiliate marketer. Here are login links to some of the UK’s best networks to get you started:
Rakuten / Linkshare
Laura Dodes is an Account Manager at the digital marketing agency Genie Goals, the sister company of the broadband comparison website Broadband Genie
More information on affiliate marketing
Five Mistakes Affiliate Marketers Make With Their New Business
Get started and make money in affiliate marketing